Gardens Care Center
Finding the most caring and well-equipped nursing home is one of the most significant decisions one must make for themselves or their loved one at an advanced age. Gardens Care Center is a franchise of the Center for Aging and Rehabilitation of Florida and specializes in physical, occupational, and speech therapies, with an "aggressive approach in wound care" and a focus on preventative measures and nutrition. Read on to learn more about Gardens Care Center, and find out if they are right for you.
About Gardens Care Center
Gardens Care Center is a skilled nursing facility offering short-term rehabilitation, long-term nursing care, and hospice care that is located in North Miami. With a focus on a broad range of therapies, vaccinations, and hospice care, they are available at a moment's notice, with open admissions every day of the week and at any hour. They describe this as being a part of what they call a "family taking care of family" value.
Having undergone a change in ownership in November 2020 (when it was formerly known as Cross Gardens Care Center), Gardens Care Center is not a part of a hospital or overall retirement community but functions as its own standalone business. It is owned by the Centers for Aging and Rehabilitation of Florida, Inc., and was recently taken over by director Margaret Fernandez and manager Sacasha Brown.
Caregiving & Staffing
Gardens Care Center states that the members of their skilled staff are carefully selected for superior ability. When handling patients, their interdisciplinary team reviews each individual's medical and treatment history as well as their therapeutic goals, often with a one-on-one approach. Their stated aim is to customize care plans according to those goals while following only the highest standards of institutional medical practice.
They guarantee seamless integration between their medical and administrative teams so that they can "go above and beyond standard care." Department managers meet with staff daily in order to discuss any changes in needs of which the entire team may need to be aware.
Gardens Care Center's Medical Services
As noted above, Gardens Care Center has a broad range of management and therapy services. Their services include the following:
- Behavior Management Protocols
- Individual and Group Therapy Sessions
- Occupational Therapy
- Animal/Pet Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Sensory Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
Some other medical treatments they commonly provide include:
- Enteral Feeding
- Ostomy & Tracheostomy Care
- Dialysis (both in-house and off-site)
- IV Therapy
Those who are interested in this nursing facility are encouraged to contact the admissions director to learn about the many other medical treatments and services that they provide for their 120 Medicare- and Medicaid-regulated beds.
Contact Information for Gardens Care Center
190 NE 191st St.
Miami, FL 33179
Government Review of Gardens Care Center
Medicare.gov has awarded Gardens Care Center an average overall rating of 3 / 5 stars. As you review the scorecard below, keep in mind that data collected by Medicare.gov includes data from the previous owners as well as the current owners.
- Health Inspections: 3 / 5 stars – "Average"
- Staffing, Overall: 3 / 5 stars – "Average"
- Registered nurse staffing: 3 / 5 stars – "Average"
- Quality Measures: 4 / 5 stars – "Above Average"
- Short-stay quality measures: 3 / 5 stars – "Average"
- Long-stay quality measures: 5 / 5 stars – "Much Above Average"
Learn more about these measurements at the Medicare.gov review here. Above all, it's essential to read reviews by other agencies as well as review any nursing home or medical facility yourself to make sure that you feel confident in their quality.
Nursing Homes are Expensive—Let Us Help You Plan for the Future
Before you ever sign the contract with a Florida nursing home, you should consult with an elder law attorney. Even after choosing a nursing home that you think your loved one will love, it is still a good idea to have an experienced professional discuss the important financial and legal considerations with you. We know you want your loved ones to receive the best care possible at their new home. We want this too. We also want to ensure that receiving quality care doesn't end up eating away all the family assets. Contact us today to consult with a Medicaid planning attorney. We look forward to working with you and your family.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Make Sense of the Medicare.gov Ratings?
Medicare.gov advises that a star rating is not a substitute for visiting and inspecting the nursing home to one's own satisfaction. They are, like any government administrative agency, advisory in nature.
- Health Inspections: This score takes into account a facility’s most recent health inspections, infection control inspections, and inspections resulting from complaints. The most recent health inspection conducted at Gardens Care Center occurred in 2019, prior to the change in ownership. In 2021, both infection control and complaint inspections were performed.
- Staffing: There is an overall staffing rating, which represents a score based on the ratio of all nursing staff to residents, as well as a registered nurse staffing rating. Higher numbers of nurse hours compared to the number of residents will result in a better score. Staff turnover is also considered, but a star rating is not assigned.
- Quality Measures: This value is much more complex because it looks at not only short-term and long-term care quality (for patients staying 0 - 100 days and above 100 days, respectively) but also the number of patients who are vaccinated, patient pain and mobility assessments, and the number of incidents such as falls, urinary tract infections, emergency room visits, rehospitalizations, and more.
How do I select the right nursing home?
Choosing the right nursing home for your needs can feel overwhelming. When you visit a nursing home, it’s important to know what to ask and what you should look for. A nursing home checklist can help you keep notes on each facility you visit.
How do I tour Gardens Care Center?
For tours, Gardens Care Center invites prospective members and/or their families to contact the admissions department. The admissions director can be reached by phone at (954) 815-8844 or by email at AdmitGardens@carfl.org.