Choosing a nursing home for your loved one is often an overwhelming situation. Many elderly individuals are reluctant to "give up their home" to live in a nursing facility, yet family members are faced with the reality that they are unable to provide the round-the-clock care that their loved one needs. Added to the dilemma are alarming statistics regarding nursing home abuse and neglect. Finding the right nursing home for your loved one's needs requires research. If you're looking for information about nursing homes in Miami, here are the details about Sinai Plaza Nursing & Rehab Center.
The Information Sinai Plaza Wants You to Know
According to the facility's website, Sinai Plaza Nursing & Rehab Center is an award-winning 150-bed skilled nursing and sub-acute care center featuring friendly, highly trained staff and exceptionally high standards. The facility is owned by the non-profit corporation, Hebrew Home Sinai Inc, and it participated in Medicare and Medicaid. Some of the services provided at the facility include:
- Sub-acute care for individuals who are transitioning between being cared for in a hospital and returning home.
- Physical therapy.
- Occupational therapy.
- Speech therapy.
- 24/7 skilled nursing care for elderly or vulnerable adults.
- Transplant and LVAD care.
- In-house and outpatient dialysis.
- Respiratory care.
- Wound care.
- Long term care.
- Family and social services.
- Activities and programs to provide psychological enrichment for residents.
What Medicare's Website Says About Sinai Plaza Nursing & Rehab Center
The Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services provides a nursing home compare website that allows consumers to see the most recent health inspections and other quality measures that can impact the facility's star rating. Medicare's star rating system is a scale of 1-5 stars with 5 stars being given to the facilities who score the highest on quality measures such as the facility's vaccination rate for infectious diseases, the number of residents with new or worsening bedsores, and the number of residents who were re-hospitalized after entering the facility.
Sinai Plaza Nursing & Rehab Center has a below-average rating of 2 out of 5 stars on Medicare's website. While the facility is rated much above average in the availability of licensed and certified staff and is also rated above average for Medicare quality measures and scored safer than the national average on its fire safety inspections, Sinai Plaza Nursing & Rehab Center only scored 1 out of 5 stars on its most recent health inspection, with 14 violations. The facility had 2 complaints in the past year that resulted in a citation. There were numerous violations in the preceding two annual health inspections, as well, including multiple violations each year pertaining to the federally-granted right of nursing home residents to be free from abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
Other Reviews of Sinai Plaza Nursing & Rehab Center
Several other sites have provided information and reviews of Sinai Plaza Nursing & Rehab Center, which reveal the following:
- Family Assets notes that the cost of a private room at the facility is around $6,691 per month. This is below Florida's average cost of $8,365 for a private room at a nursing home. For a non-private room, Sinai Plaza's cost is around $6,387, while the state average is about $7,422 per month.
- U.S, News & World Report's special section "Best Nursing Homes" gave Sinai Plaza a score of 2/3 stars for both its short-term rehabilitation and long term care services, considering factors such as vaccinations for flu or pneumonia, staffing hours and staff to resident ratio, emergency room visits, and substantiated complaints. It was also reported that the facility had 43 COVID-19 cases, as of May, 2021.
To Schedule a Visit to Sinai Plaza Nursing & Rehab Center
Visiting a nursing home is an essential part of choosing a facility for your loved one. It is recommended that individuals schedule an initial tour with time to talk to the facility administrators. Additionally, a second, unscheduled visit is encouraged to see how the facility operates when they're not expecting a tour. Some of the red flags you should look for when touring the facility include:
- A lack of warm interaction between residents and staff.
- A chaotic environment where phones are ringing or there are strange smells.
- Residents who appear dirty, hungry, or dehydrated.
- Administrators who don't return phone calls or do not have time to meet with you to answer your questions.
- A high staff turnover.
You can visit Sinai Plaza Nursing & Rehab Center at 201 NE 112th St., Miami, FL 33161. The facility can also be reached by calling (305) 899-4700.
Nursing Homes are Expensive. Let Us Help You Plan for the Future
Before you ever sign the contract with a Florida nursing home, you should consult with a Medicaid planning attorney. Even after choosing a nursing home you think your loved one will love, it is still a good idea to have an experienced professional discuss the important financial and legal considerations with you. We know you want your loved ones to receive the best care possible at their new home. We want this too. We also want to ensure that receiving quality care doesn't end up eating away all the family assets. Contact us today to consult with a Medicaid planning attorney. We look forward to working with you and your family.